I was delighted when the sunlight began peeking in my windows. We had a busy day taking care of the chores that were calling our names. Jonathan spent most of the day outside working and bashing things. The burn barrel was also going so I am sure he was busy burning things, too. Good weather is great motivation for him to finish his schoolwork quickly.
Tony was off today and intent on getting the barn organized and rearranged. After our rabbits outgrew their pens, we built on to the barn thinking that this would make a perfect rabbit shed. And it would have been perfect, except that the barn is built on the only somewhat level land on our place which happens to be at the bottom of the hill. There is basically no air flow down there and it stays about 10 degrees hotter in the shed than at the top of the hill where the original rabbit pens were located. Of course, these things were not known until we built the shed and put all the rabbits in it. Then the summer of 2011 hit and in one day we lost 14 rabbits. Even thought the barn at that time received no direct sunlight the tin heated up and made the shed so much hotter. So, we moved the rabbits up to the top of the hill that summer and there they have stayed.
So now we have this great shed, just not for rabbits. Tony spent the day cleaning out the shed so we can use it to store the vintage windows and antique doors that we sell. The first thing that had to be done was to bag all of the rabbit manure still in the shed. That stuff is such good fertilizer that I was not about to let it go to waste. The kids have been bagging it for the past week a few bags at a time. Tony finished up the manure by shoveling the rest into a large black tub. Now it is ready to make some great herbs, vegetables, and flowers.
I enjoyed the sunshine as well. I worked in the greenhouse and potted up the lemon grass into 1 gallon containers- there are now 41 new lemon grass plants living happily in the greenhouse. Some herbs are so thoughtful and let you know when they are ready to have cuttings taken to make new plants. My Italian Oregano plants are those kind of plants. I noticed that they had little roots sprouting out of their stems. I snipped those off and planted them in cups. The Chintz Thyme had gone so far as to root in its neighbors pot, I dug those up and placed them in their own cups. Herbs are very helpful, in more ways than one!
Now, it is time to cut the boys hair and grade the homeschool work.